RIAI award winner in 2007
The building is a protected structure and was originally a storage facility for wood, coal and grain being unloaded from ships utilising Sligo docks.
The architectural solution was to retain and restore the existing fabric of the building and to insert a new modern architectural element which could be used to give access to a new first floor private courtyard, from which each of the residential units were accessed. These new contemporary elements provide a rich contrast between the original building fabric of 1842, bringing a disused building back to life and simultaneously presenting the new face to the town of Sligo.
In order to retain the historical façade to Union Street, additional natural light to the residential units is provided via a new contemporary western façade. As a conservation project, the success has been in the blending of best conservation practice with a brief which allowed the original structure a new lease of life and restored a historical street within the city.